Monday, August 3, 2009

Sci Fi Robot

Well, so I was having a pretty boring Sunday, so I decided to do something. I was searching online for some pre-modeled scenes to practice my lighting on when I came across www.3drender.com

From here, I downloaded the sci-fi scene, modeled by Juan Carlos Silva. I tried a few lighting schemes, but I wasn't too happy with it. I planned a pre-visualised a camera move, but it wasn't turning out too good. Then I realised why everything wasn't working - I did not have any focus in mind. There's no point lighting a scene without a focus. And since a robot was included in the scene, I thought why not make that the main focus?

Thus, I planned a short animation sequence in my mind, for which I needed to rig the robot. I began. This was the first time I rigged something which was organic, non-organic and moved on wheels all at the same time. It was a very challenging procedure, especially because I wanted the robot to have a very cartoony appearance.


Robot in its default rest position

Robot with first pose test


Robot with second pose test

I paid a lot of attention to rigging the wheels because I felt that since it had no legs, the wheels would be very important in conveying emotions.

That's it for now. This took me pretty much half a day. I have yet to paint the skin weights.

--
Robot and rest of the sci-fi model: Juan Carlos Silva from www.3drender.com

No comments:

Post a Comment