Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Melon Shader Update + Render

I decided to work more on my melon shader and expanded the network. Here's what it looks like:

 
Basically, I added more variation to the patterns and somemore overlays on the dark green stripes.

Next, I thought that since I was going to do a tutorial on how to make this shader, I figured it would be good if I did a nice render for the front page. Hence, I created a scene filled with water melons of shapes and different sizes and placed them on the floor. I adjusted the shader properties to get the look and feel of a melon surface.


Once I had my rough composition, I decided to light up the scene. This time, I used a HDRI dome as the key light rather than fill. I added another spot light to act as a fill from the front since the bottom half of the melons would fall under shadows. This helped, but it was still dark. Hence, I added another spotlight and light-linked it to only the melons and not the floor. I rendered in 3 passes and composited them in Photoshop. Here's the test:
3 Render Passes composited with a vignette - No other post-processing
I'm pretty satisfied with this image. I did not want to light it evenly as I wanted to maintain some contrast in the image. The floor was also procedurally textured. From feedback, I realised that I need to make my dark green stripes a little darker. Also, I was thinking if I should re-work on my composition and do a higher-res rendering.

No comments:

Post a Comment