Saturday, September 6, 2008

First Works using RenderMan

I was just looking through my old works and I came across these two images which I totally forgot about. I used RenderMan to create these images. The first one, I used Slim to generate a glass shader. I decided to go the extreme and increased the refractive index to a very very high level. I rendered the image in Maya through RenderMan of course, and this is what it looks like.


For the second image below, it required more work. That time, I was really into RenderMan and the RenderMan Shading Language (RSL) and I did proper research on it. Well, I didn't exactly copied the RSL code, but I learnt and memorised it and wrote the anistropic shader in my own way for the following container which I modelled in Maya.



One thing about RenderMan - extremely steep learning curve. I guess one requires good mathematics background to master RenderMan, which I currently lack. So I decided to put it aside for the time being, and decided to concentrate on visual effects and compositing instead for the time being. Once I have mastered that, I want to explore advanced CG lighting using mental Ray and RenderMan and really go into its depth and then use that knowledge to create some good VFX.

No comments:

Post a Comment